Our History

Robert E. Lamb original service car

1917

Founding of Robert E. Lamb, Inc.

1920s

We expand throughout the Philadelphia market. Large projects include renovations to the five-story Brown & Bailey Company building, which still stands today.

Brown Bailey Paper Boxes renovation from 1920s
Brown Instrument Company 1930s

1930s

We begin to focus more on the industrial market. Client loyalty based on strong relationships helps sustain the company through the Great Depression.

1940s

Our geographic footprint of industrial construction work broadens during the World War II era to encompass areas as far as South Dakota.

Schmidt Brewery Caissons Foundations 1948
Lambert Hudnut 1950

1950s

Our work expands into Southern states. We add planning and design to complement construction services. Late in the decade we relocate headquarters from Philadelphia to our current site near Valley Forge, Pa.

1960s

Walter Lamb succeeds Robert E. Lamb as owner. We enter the specialized markets of control centers and data centers, developing expertise to plan, design, and construct these facilities featuring redundant systems and hardened structures.

Bunker Ramo Data Center NASDAQ 1968
Volkswagen Atlantic facility 1970

1970s

We continue to expand in markets we serve, including planning, designing, and constructing a 250,000 square-foot industrial facility for Volkswagen America and a 56,000 square-foot control center for Delmarva Power and Light.

1980s

Robert E. Lamb II succeeds Walter Lamb as owner. Our control center and data center work evolve as we adapt to the increased sophistication of computerization and automation. Major clients include Savannah Electric, Jacksonville Electric, New Brunswick Power, Niagara Mohawk Power, and Potomac Electric Power Company (PEPCO).

Savannah Electric and Power Control Center 1984
DuPont Automotive Paint Group facility

1990s

Our industrial work includes major projects for DuPont, Wyeth, and Ingersoll Rand, while control center work reaches into the airline (Delta and American) and refining (Tosco and Sunoco) industries. In 1999, Joseph Sterchak succeeds Robert E. Lamb II as owner.

2000s

Our work includes increasing complexity to match evolving technology and environmental concerns. We complete control center work for clients such as Southern Company and Hawaii Electric, and industrial work for Peirce Phelps and Campbell Soup Company. Lamb also expands into emergency preparedness centers for the nuclear power industry, eventually encompassing 25% of such sites in the United States.

APS Palo Verde
Cleveland Brothers service facility

2010s

Our focus remains true to areas of expertise, providing planning, design, and engineering services to many repeat clients. Major projects include work for PEPCO, Marotta Controls, Cleveland Brothers Caterpillar, Ephrata National Bank, PPL Electric, FirstEnergy, Dominion, and Wolf Creek Nuclear Operating Corporation.

Related Pages
Robert E. Lamb, Inc. Management Team
Our Leadership
Clients across United States
Our Clients
architecture engineering services
Our Services